Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Another from science Nyc

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 08:42:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Date: April 26, 2017 at 8:04:55 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Another from science Nyc

How Science Sorts Fact from Alternative Fact
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-24/how-science-sorts-fact-from-alternative-fact
by Faye Flam
(disclosure: Faye and I were undergrads together, a very long time ago)

You have the facts; now share them, reads an advertisement urging me to buy a gift subscription to Scientific
American. Perhaps we’re seeing a backlash against Kellyanne Conway’s infamous “alternative facts,” or a response to
fears that the U.S. has entered a post-truth era. One way or another, facts have become a hotter commodity than
coconut water and kale.

But how do any of us know for sure that the facts we believe are the real ones? Should you go with what your smartest
friends post on social media? What you were taught in school? What the newspapers report? Wikipedia? The pages of
Scientific American?

The bad news, scientists warn us, is that our brains are problematic places to seek reliable facts. In a new book
titled “The Enigma of Reason,” for example, the authors -- two cognitive scientists -- assert that humans use reason
more often to bolster their existing ideas (and egos) than to find the truth. In another recent book, “The Knowledge
Illusion,” cognitive scientists Philip Fernbach and Steven Sloman show how most people think they know much more than
they actually do.

<snip>

Faye is worth reading, in my opinion. She had some very level-headed stuff on gender and sex during the NC HB2
dustup. It’s an area she has actually written a book on, in fact.

              —Rod