Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Man Fined $500 for Crime of Writing 'I Am An Engineer' in an Email to the Government - Motherboard

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:45:09 +0000

 ---------- Forwarded message ---------
 From: Grady Booch <egrady () booch com>
 Date: Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:23 AM
 Subject: Re: [IP] Man Fined $500 for Crime of Writing 'I Am An Engineer' in
 an Email to the Government - Motherboard
 To: <dave () farber net>
     ip <ip () listbox com>

 From my dear friend Philippe Kruchten:

 Hi, Grady,

 It is also the case here, but it would not go that far, us being nice
 easy-going Canadians.  ;-) The  engineering board would just send a letter
 saying:

 *Dear Mr. Booch,*
 *We notice you use the term engineering and engineer a bit too casually,
 and we do not have you in our registry of licensed professionals.*
 *Tsk, tsk.*
 *Please do not do this again.*
 *Here’s the reason why (pointer to same kind of blah blah about the
 “engineering act” )*
 *Best regards,*
 *The registrar of professional engineering in BC*

 I am not kidding you. I am still on the registration committee and board of
 examiner (for software engineers), so I know
 the current practice.

 If they actually do *perform* engineering, like signing the blueprints for
 some new sewer line, etc.. then they get something stronger.

 Cheers,
 -----
 Philippe Kruchten
 University of British Columbia