Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Getting around paywalls ...

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 02:59:10 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Justin Maxwell <soc () code404 com>
Date: Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Getting around paywalls ...
To: dave () farber net <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>

For what it's worth, I've been ambivalently using Blendle for a few months
now. The idea is great for the reasons Chuck cites, but the model is on its
head. I don't want to read the articles on Blendle, I want to read them by
clicking links my friends and peers share and using a
Blendle-like microtransaction to pay for my one-time access to that
article, right there, on the provider's website. The existing model where I
am linked to an article, I can't read it for whatever reason, and then I'm
supposed to go to Blendle and hope it exists there, is cumbersome and
inconvenient (which is why I rarely remember to do it).