Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Getting around paywalls ...

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 08:02:57 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Stephe Wilks <stephe.wilks () hepl com au>
Date: Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 12:06 AM
Subject: RE: FW: [IP] Getting around paywalls ...
To: <farber () gmail com>
Cc: <dave () farber net>

Prof Farber  --

For many of the same reasons, I believe that using the ‘get around the
paywall’ trick is less useful for an open society with a functioning fourth
estate, than the alternatives of trying to find a way to help journalism
work effectively…

My preferred option is Inkl.com
<http://www.inkl.com/newsletters/morning-edition>, which like Blendle,
provides micropayments to the publishers while giving readers access to a
wide range of newspapers around the world…  but, uses the digital content
rather than the print version of the stories and – more importantly for me
in a world lacking diverse voices – has a feature called Dive Deeper, which
tries to bring in multiple perspectives from a range of global news sources.

I believe there are others as well – I think the important thing is that,
if you support the existence of the fourth estate, it’s important to help
find a way to fund its ongoing capability!

--  Stephe