Interesting People mailing list archives

Re The Nerve Agent Attack that Did Not Occur: Analysis of the Times and Locations of Critical Events in the Alleged Nerve Agent Attack at 7 AM on April 4, 2017 in Khan Sheikhoun, Syria

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:57:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan Levine <jonathan.canuck.levine () gmail com>
Date: April 21, 2017 at 7:41:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re The Nerve Agent Attack that Did Not Occur: Analysis of the Times and Locations of Critical
Events in the Alleged Nerve Agent Attack at 7 AM on April 4, 2017 in Khan Sheikhoun, Syria

From: Ralph Hitchens <rmhitchens45 () gmail com>

Dave,

My recollection from the briefings I saw after Desert Storm (I was a
reservist on the Air Staff at the Pentagon) made the point that the video
footage Ted Postol saw as "commercial" video with a slower frame rate than
the video footage used by DOD analysts.  A fellow reservist in my unit --
also a SAIC scientist -- who was mobilized at the end of the war and
analyzed the DOD footage told me that in his opinion the Patriot was a
superb interceptor with a "sub-lethal" warhead.  Also, a major
complicating factor was that the extended-range SCUDs, apparently designed
and manufactured by the Iraqis, had inadequate structural integrity and
usually came apart in-flight, which naturally confused the Patriot
interceptor missile, now confronted with multiple radar returns with
different trajectories.

...or confused analysts who interpreted the auto-disintegrating SCUD as a
positive Patriot hit.  I'd have to go back to my prior readings, but iIrc, the
Patriot relied on proximity explosion rather than physical contact with the
target.

DOD and Raytheon analysts dismissed Postol's analysis

Well, they would, wouldn't they?

Jonathan