Interesting People mailing list archives

Re The Nerve Agent Attack that Did Not Occur: Analysis of the Times and Locations of Critical Events in the Alleged Nerve Agent Attack at 7 AM on April 4, 2017 in Khan Sheikhoun, Syria

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 18:48:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ralph Hitchens <rmhitchens45 () gmail com>
Date: April 21, 2017 at 6:38:38 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re The Nerve Agent Attack that Did Not Occur: Analysis of the Times and Locations of Critical
Events in the Alleged Nerve Agent Attack at 7 AM on April 4, 2017 in Khan Sheikhoun, Syria

Dave,

My recollection from the briefings I saw after Desert Storm (I was a reservist on the Air Staff at the Pentagon) made
the point that the video footage Ted Postol saw as "commercial" video with a slower frame rate than the video footage
used by DOD analysts.  A fellow reservist in my unit -- also a SAIC scientist -- who was mobilized at the end of the
war and analyzed the DOD footage told me that in his opinion the Patriot was a superb interceptor with a "sub-lethal"
warhead.  Also, a major complicating factor was that the extended-range SCUDs, apparently designed and manufactured
by the Iraqis, had inadequate structural integrity and usually came apart in-flight, which naturally confused the
Patriot interceptor missile, now confronted with multiple radar returns with different trajectories.

DOD and Raytheon analysts dismissed Postol's analysis, and I frankly don't recall if the whole business fizzled out.
Didn't seem to hurt Army procurement and export sales of the Patriot system, though.

Ralph Hitchens
Lt. Col. USAFR (Ret.)