Interesting People mailing list archives

re Stepping Up Security for an Internet-of-Things World

From: "David Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 09:18:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis:Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Stepping Up Security for an Internet-of-Things World
Date: October 17, 2016 at 8:54:51 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave,

Funny they should use that example of cars.  Hackers can get "in" to automobiles on a pretty reliable basis today and
we are a few years out from seeing totally autonomous vehicles as a mainstay on the roads.

So bold predictions of "robots" to defend the cyber frontier seem optimistic at best.  Those robots themselves will be
a target for hacking.  My bold prediction?  The hacks will be there before the sentinel software.

We cant win an arms race.  We know that already.  We know it from war. We know ir from game theory. We know it from
encryption. We know it from pretty much every experience.  Instead of trying to build a sentinel wall, we need a grand
challenge for different ideas.  Not more of the same.  If i had a grand idea to safeguard the IoT it would go here.
But i dont.  And it is scary because the problem is urgent.