Interesting People mailing list archives

Facebook has repeatedly trended fake news since firing its human editors

From: "dfarber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:33:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Facebook has repeatedly trended fake news since firing its human editors
Date: October 12, 2016 at 12:25:40 PM EDT
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org

Facebook has repeatedly trended fake news since firing its human editors

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/10/12/facebook-has-repeatedly-trended-fake-news-since-firing-its-human-editors/

        As part of a larger audit of Facebook's Trending topics, the
        Intersect logged every news story that trended across four
        accounts during the workdays from Aug. 31 to Sept.  22. During
        that time, we uncovered five trending stories that were
        indisputably fake and three that were profoundly inaccurate.
        On top of that, we found that news releases, blog posts from
        sites such as Medium and links to online stores such as iTunes
        regularly trended.

- - -

--Lauren--