Interesting People mailing list archives

This is the most dangerous time for our planet

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 18:29:41 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: December 3, 2016 at 1:28:10 PM EST
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] This is the most dangerous time for our planet

This is the most dangerous time for our planet
We can’t go on ignoring inequality, because we have the means to destroy our world but not to escape it
By Stephen Hawking
Dec 9 2016
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/01/stephen-hawking-dangerous-time-planet-inequality

As a theoretical physicist based in Cambridge, I have lived my life in an extraordinarily privileged bubble.
Cambridge is an unusual town, centred around one of the world’s great universities. Within that town, the scientific
community that I became part of in my 20s is even more rarefied.

And within that scientific community, the small group of international theoretical physicists with whom I have spent
my working life might sometimes be tempted to regard themselves as the pinnacle. In addition to this, with the
celebrity that has come with my books, and the isolation imposed by my illness, I feel as though my ivory tower is
getting taller.

So the recent apparent rejection of the elites in both America and Britain is surely aimed at me, as much as anyone.
Whatever we might think about the decision by the British electorate to reject membership of the European Union and
by the American public to embrace Donald Trump as their next president, there is no doubt in the minds of
commentators that this was a cry of anger by people who felt they had been abandoned by their leaders.

It was, everyone seems to agree, the moment when the forgotten spoke, finding their voices to reject the advice and
guidance of experts and the elite everywhere.

[snip]