Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Point of View: North Carolina no longer a democracy | News & Observer

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 08:51:45 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sam <samwaltz.groups () gmail com>
Date: December 26, 2016 at 3:51:25 AM EST
To: Dave Farber IP <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Point of View: North Carolina no longer a democracy | News & Observer

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the message. I'd like to raise a point, though, that people
rarely consider when discussing democracies. People have been claiming
to support democracies for *centuries* while still oblivious to how
many people they were excluding from the vote. In the 1700s, people
claimed to have democratic values while feeling that it was understood
that non-whites and women should not have the vote. Today, we still
have disenfranchised classes, including minors and foreigners, It is
seen as equally "obvious" to some people today that those people
should not have access to the vote. Personally, I am happy to see some
jurisdictions worldwide extending suffrage, in some areas to people as
low as age 14 (IIRC), and to non-citizens. I've been an expat for over
a decade; whether there was a traffic light on the corner was much
more relevant to me personally, than to someone at the other end of
the province or to a non-resident voter. Still, I have been taxed
without local representation. While I don't approve of what is
happening in North Carolina, I think we need a broader perspective
before we address the question.

It seems that every election season, these articles about democratic
deficits abound, and are quickly forgotten a few months later. If
anything, we should probably have a constitutional committee to
discuss these and other questions. The US has one of the oldest
written constitutions in the world (The Republic of San Marino has the
oldest). US presidential administrations and others have been ignoring
the US Constitution more and more over the past 150 years and NONE of
the recent presidential candidates have been interested in adhering to
Constitutional limitations. Most people are not aware of the
enumerated powers set by Article I Section VIII, or that the Federal
Government does not have the Constitutional power to regulate
immigration (only naturalization, or who becomes a citizen. Big
difference. The feds only started regulating immigration with the
Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882), or that only Congress, not the
President, has the power to declare war - and the last time it did so
was in 1942. It may be time to see if we can develop a written
Constitution to which we can force politicians to adhere. You'd think
that in an adversarial two-party system, both parties would constantly
be counting down until the other party took over, and try to limit
government powers; instead, they both keep trying to take more and
more powers for the federal government.

Sam Waltz

Chat: skype/google/yahoo: samwaltz

To email me personally, drop "groups" from my email address. I check
that account more frequently. Messages to this account often get lost
in the avalanche.