Interesting People mailing list archives

EFF Ad in Wired: Tech Community Must Secure Networks Against Trump Administration

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 12:35:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: EFF Press via eff-board <eff-board () eff org>
Date: December 20, 2016 at 10:00:14 AM EST
To: <eff-all () eff org>
Subject: [E-B] EFF Ad in Wired: Tech Community Must Secure Networks Against Trump Administration

This is a friendly message from the Electronic Frontier Foundation. View it in a web browser.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: TUESDAY, DECEMBER 20, 2016
Contact:

Cindy Cohn
Executive Director
cindy () eff org
+1 415 436-9333 x108

Rainey Reitman
Activism Director
rainey () eff org
+1 415 436-9333 x140
EFF Ad in Wired: Tech Community Must Secure Networks Against Trump Administration
President-Elect Threatens Free and Open Internet

SAN FRANCISCO - In a full-page advertisement in Wired magazine, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has a
warning for the technology community: “Your threat model just changed.”

EFF’s open letter calls on technologists to secure computer networks against overreaches by the upcoming Trump
administration and to protect a free, secure, and open Internet. The January issue of Wired with EFF’s open letter on
page 63 hit newsstands today.

“Our goal is to rally everyone who makes digital tools and services to this important cause: protect your technology
and networks from censorship and government surveillance,” said EFF Activism Director Rainey Reitman. “The Internet
was created to connect and empower people around the world. We cannot let it be conscripted into a tool of
oppression. But if we are going to protect the Internet, we need a lot of help. Wired has been looking to the
technological future for over two decades, and its readers have the skills we need.”

EFF’s open letter outlines four major ways the technology community can help: using encryption for every user
transaction; practicing routine deletion of data logs; revealing publicly any government request to improperly
monitor users or censor speech; and joining the fight for user rights in court, in Congress, and beyond.

“EFF has fought for the rights of creators and users since 1990—through four presidential administrations,” said EFF
Executive Director Cindy Cohn. “We’ve battled privacy invasions, censorship attempts, and power grabs from Democrats
and Republicans alike. Now, President-Elect Trump has promised to increase surveillance, undermine security, and
suppress the freedom of the press. But he needs your servers to do this. Join us in securing civil liberties in the
digital world, before it’s too late.”

For the full ad in Wired:
https://supporters.eff.org/files/eff_wired_ad_2016.png

For more on how the tech community can defend users:
https://www.eff.org/defend-users

For this release:
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-ad-wired-tech-community-must-secure-networks-against-trump-administration

About EFF

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is the leading organization protecting civil liberties in the digital world.
Founded in 1990, we defend free speech online, fight illegal surveillance, promote the rights of digital innovators,
and work to ensure that the rights and freedoms we enjoy are enhanced, rather than eroded, as our use of technology
grows. EFF is a member-supported organization. Find out more at https://eff.org.

Electronic Frontier Foundation, 815 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA 94109 USA.
EFF appreciates your support and respects your privacy.
Unsubscribe from all mail or change your email preferences.