Interesting People mailing list archives

If prejudice lurks among us, can our analytics do any better?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 13:26:08 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Andy Oram <andyo () oreilly com>
Date: Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 8:14 AM
Subject: If prejudice lurks among us, can our analytics do any better?
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>

The following article could interest a lot of people on the IP list, as it
draws some conclusions from the many recent revelations that predictive
analytics are reproducing discriminatory practices in society. For
instance, I examine the controversy over Propublica's claim that one tool
used for sentencing is prejudiced against African-Americans. The article is
part of some work that members of the ACM and our colleagues are doing to
come up with principles for creating fair algorithms, and a technical
explanation of what does and doesn't work in that area.

  If prejudice lurks among us, can our analytics do any better?

  http://oreil.ly/2hAap6O

Andy Oram  |  Editor
O'Reilly Media, Inc.  |  617-499-7479 |  oreilly.com