Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Facebook Shouldn't Fact-Check

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 10:57:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Gillmor <dan () gillmor com>
Date: December 1, 2016 at 10:46:18 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Facebook Shouldn't Fact-Check

I agree with Lessin in a general way on this topic. But her "disclosure"
about her husband's connection to Facebook was way, way shy of complete,
as NYT public editor notes in a harsh (for the Times) piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/public-editor/facebook-jessica-lessin-liz-spayd-public-editor.html

This is a perfect example of how even our best news organizations --
whether through carelessness, indifference, or worse -- sometimes poison
trust in their products.