Interesting People mailing list archives

Apple's Spat With Google Is Getting Personal

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:42:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Date: March 14, 2010 4:36:34 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Subject: Re: [IP] Apple's Spat With Google Is Getting Personal

Apple believes that devices like smartphones and tablets should have tightly controlled, proprietary standards and that customers should take advantage of services on those gadgets with applications downloaded from Apple's own App Store.

Google, on the other hand, wants smartphones to have open, nonproprietary platforms so users can freely roam the Web for apps that work on many devices.

This is classic Steve Jobs. He and I discussed EXACTLY this same issue - or obsession - one evening in my kitchen, long ago.

(We knew each other before he and Woz created Apple, and on into the mid-'80s. E.g., when I started the landmark 1st West Coast Computer Faire, Steve was one of the first potential exhibitors I called. I could and did trust a mere verbal "handshake" with him over the phone, renting premium front-entrance exhibit space to him.)

Our kitchen debate was most of a decade later, in the mid-'80s, after Apple had introduced the Mac as an entirely closed platform - only allowing Apple hardware as well as its closed operating system - and before then-CEO John Scully forced Steve to leave Apple (for a while, during which he created NeXT).

I asked Steve why he didn't open the Mac hardware to 3rd-party add- ons - pointing out that every microcomputer company that had insisted on closed hardware had failed, whereas every one that was successful had opened their hardware to 3rd-party enhancements. Notably, this included IBM with its PC's, a huge reversal of IBM's traditional practices.

Steve's said he didn't want to create a market for any competitors.

I said the market was too big - that it simply wasn't possible for him to provide all the options that his potential customers wanted - that by insisting on proprietary hardware, he was loosing large numbers of customers who needed add-ons that Apple couldn't or wouldn't provide.

We haggled a while, and eventually agreed that we disagreed.  <grin>

Well - history proved that I was right, and Steve was wrong. After Jobs left Apple, it opened Mac hardware to 3rd-party add-ons and Mac sales and market penetration exploded. (And I got my first Mac, was instantly enchanted and got a second, top-end Mac the next day, and have been a Mac zealot ever since.)

Steve's obsession with control and monopoly was wrong then, and it's wrong now. It's wrong for the public, and it WILL prove to be wrong for Apple.

Again!

--jim; Jim Warren, open-govt & tech-civlib advocate & sometime columnist
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Warren
 justjim36 on twitter  |  Jim Warren on Facebook