Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Apple's Spat With Google Is Getting Personal

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:20:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Date: March 17, 2010 12:09:22 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Apple's Spat With Google Is Getting Personal

I think there are even more fundamental issues than creativity per se, including those of ownership. Do I own a piece of hardware, or "not really"? I was livid with Apple when my iPhone, legally purchased and out of contract, could no longer be used as an iTouch (no SIM) due to a software update. I was out of the country and no way to activate the US iPhone without finding an AT&T SIM, *just for reactivation*.

A far more grave manifestation of this phenomenon is with GM crops whereby the seeds are now property of the company, and a farmer is now not allowed to save seeds for future harvests. Sure we could, societally, agree to accept such a contract, but do we have alternatives?

Of course, why should a company sell a commodity product when a niche/customized/specialized solution can be offered? For those who may not have seen the article, do read James Fallows story on a factory in China that makes 3 cables for a mega brand, a store brand, and no-name factory, that sell for several tens of dollars, some $20, and $15, respectively - identical but for the label/ packaging (and the manufacturer gets only a few dollars). [the article focused on a different theme].

There's a lot of people in the world. Many who don't have goods and services a substantial fraction of us take for granted. The Q in my mind is to what end does wealth *transferrance* become more prized than creation, perhaps even at the expense of social equity? I am continuously amazed at how inexpensively we can provide ICT (information and communications technology) solutions for vast public good, if only people could accept the modifications to if not end of today's business models. That's a topic for debate another time...

Rahul