Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Why I'm Skeptical of the FCC's Call for User Broadband Testing

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:51:44 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq () quarterman org>
Date: March 12, 2010 1:57:58 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq () quarterman org>, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Why I'm Skeptical of the FCC's Call for User Broadband Testing

Dave, for IP:

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: March 11, 2010 8:51:05 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Why I'm Skeptical of the FCC's Call for User Broadband
Testing

I ran both the M-Labs and Ooka tests from the FCC today, and got wildly
different results: Ookla had me at 25 Mbps down and 2 ms of jitter,
and M-Labs had me at  14.6 and 112. This disparity is to vast that it
only says something about the tools, and not a thing about my connection
speed and quality.

It says you've got a much faster connection than most people in the U.S.
(according to the data you recommend in your next paragraph),
and thus your connection is not as interesting as those of
people with slower speeds.

If you want a global view of Internet connection speeds, see the data
from Speedtest drawn from users all over the world:

http://speedtest.net/global.php#0

It shows that users in the USA can easily buy a connection that's as fast as the average speed in the countries with the highest average speeds,

Sure, if U.S. users want to pay up to ten times as much as users in those other countries do.... And that's in places in the U.S. where such speeds
are even available.

Meanwhile, the FCC RFQ of today asks for:

"2.2. How the Offeror will develop a statistically significant and
geographically representative panel of consumers that enables national
analyses, including at least 15 of the 20 largest ISP's (as measured
by subscribers), targeted to 10,000 households (+/-5.0%) subscribing to
fixed wireline or wireless broadband services"

No doubt Brett Glass's network provides excellent quality service to its
subscribers.  However, unless it's one of the top 20 largest ISPs
by number of subscribers, it's not what the FCC is interested in
measuring, and thus also presumably not what the FCC is interested
in making rules about.  I'm sure someone from the FCC can correct me
if I have deduced that last inaccurately.

Meanwhile, the data the FCC is compiling by its current methods
can be used later to calibrate whatever comes out of the RFQ.

I predict now that no matter how comprehensive and precise the
data resulting from the RFQ is, and no matter how much more so
it is made over time, there will be those who argue that it's
not precise enough.

Nonetheless, by both methods we'll start to get a picture
of which big ISPs are delivering and which are not.

-jsq