Interesting People mailing list archives

ISPs may provide your mailing address to Web advertisers

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:36:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: June 23, 2010 12:15:13 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: ISPs may provide your mailing address to Web advertisers

ISPs may provide your mailing address to Web advertisers
"Coming Soon: Web Ads Tailored to Your ZIP+4"
( http://www.nnsquad.org/archives/nnsquad/msg03723.html )

A new "Wired" article ( http://bit.ly/ayLTO7 ) discusses a service that
would -- apparently without your direct permission -- feed your ZIP+4
(9 digit) address code to Web advertisers.  The service raises a host
of privacy issues that are either ignored or seemingly misrepresented
by the quotes in the article:

"Even federal regulators who scrutinize other ad firms over their
 targeting practices are apparently okay with this, in part because the
 zipcode is encoded and can only be ready [sic] by 'trusted third parties.'
 That might reassure privacy advocates that personally identifying
 information is not at risk here (unless you're the only person in your
 nine-digit zipcode, which would only happen in an incredibly remote
 region)."

Wrong.  ZIP+4 frequently identifies individual addresses even in urban
and suburban areas, especially for P.O. Boxes, multi-dwelling
residential and office buildings, etc.  Once the ZIP+4 is in hand for
such locations, reversing this to the actual full address (and often
the associated name) is usually trivial given existing available
databases.

"The privacy folks in Washington love what we are doing," claims
 Blacker, "because we never see any personally identifying information,
 we don't track online usage like behavioral [advertising does], and we
 only aggregate at the neighborhood level."

Given that the "only aggregate at the neighborhood level" statement
appears to be incorrect for many addresses as I understand the service
at this point, I'd like to know which "Washington privacy folks"
*love* what they're doing.

"The system cuts ISPs in on the advertising game in a new way, without
 them having to expend much effort. They can add Feeva tags to the HTTP
 headers that already tell online advertisers a person's IP address,
 referring URL, language and browser, and they can do it using the same
 aggregation routers that already authenticate whether a given
 subscriber is paid up and should be allowed to connect."

This explanation would seem to suggest that this service depends on
the active interception and header modification of unencrypted user
HTTP Web traffic by ISPs via proxy servers, DPI, or other means.  This
obviously opens up an entire additional level of serious concerns.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com