Interesting People mailing list archives

FTC Leaning Toward Do-Not-Track List for Online Ads

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:01:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: July 29, 2010 7:00:16 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] FTC Leaning Toward Do-Not-Track List for Online Ads

Dave,

This sounds very attractive -- until you realize how widely the do-not-call list is ignored.

My home phone been on the do-not-call list since it opened.  I have filed a very large number of complaints via the
web site.  When I file these complaints I search for the numbers online, and they usually turn up with lots of other
complaints at sites like http://whocalled.us/ and http://800notes.com/  -- and many of those complaints report the
callee is on the do-not-call list.

For example, I complained about 714-877-4451 in March 2010, and http://whocalled.us/ today shows complaints about
that number beginning a full year earlier, with more than two dozen complaints since mine, as recent as July 14.

It is true that the do-not-call list has reduced the number of calls, but that means that the remaining calls, which
are still a significant nuisance, are pretty much guaranteed to be unethical.  It has gotten to the point that I
don't answer the home phone any more, unless I specifically recognize the caller ID.  A few of my friends show up as
"private caller" for business reasons, which makes things awkward.

The complaint mechanism for do-not-call violations is based on callees being sufficiently annoyed to file complaints.
 The problem with online tracking is that we don't even know we're being tracked.

The description below suggests I could opt out of behavioral advertising. But just not *receiving* the ads isn't
enough -- I want to opt out of having the information collected for *any* reason.  In fact, if the information were
used *only* to send ads I might actually be interested in, that might be fine.  It's all the *other* uses that are
the problem.  Say I buy some scuba gear and make air and hotel reservations on Bonaire. I wouldn't mind receiving ads
about dive sites on Bonaire -- but I absolutely do not want my local burglar to know I'll be out of town that week.
Say I make online purchases of some over-the-counter medications that can be used for certain socially sensitive
conditions. Maybe I wouldn't mind hearing about other sources for those medications, but I absolutely do not want my
neighbors, employer, or insurance company to receive the information via back channels (especially since the
inference mechanisms are unreliable and I might be using them to grow better roses).

So it would be a Good Thing to institute a do-not-track list, but it needs a mechanism other than voluntary
compliance of trackers and complaints of trackees to make it work.

Mary