Interesting People mailing list archives

more on POTS, VOIP and sound quality

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:05:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: January 2, 2010 3:00:33 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] POTS, VOIP and sound quality

I keep POTS lines around for what I believe are some very good reasons. Firstly, even though it's a technology that really should have fallen into disuse long ago, I still must send and receive FAXes. I'm amazed that there seems to be no modern substitute, but there really isn't.

Secondly, I know that I won't be charged for using my land line to make phone calls to supposedly "toll free" numbers (as I would on a cellular phone). Since most companies' toll "customer service" lines -- whether or not they actually provide decent customer service -- usually have long queues, it doesn't make sense to call them from a cell phone and potentially pay large per-minute charges to wait on hold.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, nothing can beat the lower latency of a land line. When one of the phones involved in a conversation is a cell phone, the delay is bad enough. But when both are, it's almost impossible to have a truly animated conversation without talking over or interrupting the other person. So, when I want to have a good conversation -- and especially when I know that the other party is on a cell phone, I opt to use a land line whenever possible so that I can, at least, cut that delay by half.

Get me a low latency cell phone, true toll free numbers, a widely adopted Internet equivalent of the FAX, and service that will stay up during a weeklong disaster, and I might -- just maybe -- consider dropping POTS.

--Brett Glass