Interesting People mailing list archives

POTS, VOIP and sound quality

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:41:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suzanne Johnson <fuhn () pobox com>
Date: January 2, 2010 2:37:33 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: POTS, VOIP and sound quality

I'm one of those folks who has kept POTS lines. Not necessarily just for reliability, but for the better sound quality. I do use clarity enhancing phones, and I do wear hearing aids.

I've asked friends who I previously had no problem understanding, whether they'd switched service providers when suddenly phone conversations with them became difficult to understand due to faint , somewhat muffled sound. Invariably, they say they just switched to VOIP service.

I live in a rural area, so am wondering if this is real, or something particular to areas like this? Would it go away if both ends of the conversation were VOIP?

Has anyone really looked at this aspect of the issue?