Interesting People mailing list archives

] Re: Google asks FCC to appoint it a "white space" database admin

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 18:41:05 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 6, 2010 6:05:59 PM EST
To: 'Lauren Weinstein' <lauren () vortex com>, nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: Google asks FCC to appoint it a "white space" database admin

I've got to take exception as I wrote in http://rmf.vc/?n=WhiteSpacePolicy .

Trying to administer a database of whitespace is government at its worst. It
tries to manage the police state we already have to wireless.

Far better is to just create a path through the current access points (AKA wired<=>wireless routers) and moot the whole thing. This the pragmatic face
of Ambient Connectivity.

    [ Bob, what possible incentive would ordinary folks have to open
      up their wireless (or wired) access points to all comers, given
      the obvious potential for abuse and legal sanctions that can be
      brought down on access point owners when that abuse occurs?
      Years have been spent teaching people to turn on at least basic
      Wi-Fi crypto and establish that as a default condition.  What's
      in it for Joe Blow Internet user that will convince him to
      share his Internet access with anyone who drives by, given the
      risk of RIAA/MPAA or c-porn investigators banging on his door
      when drive-by abuse occurs?

      It's one thing to run public Wi-Fi when you're an established
      firm or municipality with an on-staff legal team.  But for
      individuals who are easy targets of overzealous prosecutions?

        -- Lauren Weinstein
           NNSquad Moderator ]

- - -