Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "Net Neutrality: Towards a Co-Regulatory Solution"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 20:21:51 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: January 31, 2010 8:13:47 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] "Net Neutrality: Towards a Co-Regulatory Solution"

This is very odd. I've been reading Chris' book, as it relates to some work I'm doing on the implications of net
neutrality regs and wireless networks, and I found it very useful. I'm not finished reading yet so there may be some
sort of big trap at the end, but so far I find nothing offensive about the key notions, "net neutrality lite,"
"positive net neutrality", and "co-regulation". In fact they're pretty much in line with my thinking on the matter, and
from what I know of Brett's thinking, they're aligned with it as well.

Marsden is deeply familiar with the way the discussion has evolved in US telecom circles around the views of the
Lessig-Wu-Berkman orbit as well as the TPRC crowd (Noam, Hazlett, Yoo, Frieden, Clark, et. al.) but he has his uniquely
European perspective as well.  ISPs in the UK certainly have done things differently than they have in the US, and the
European regulatory dynamic is very different from the US and Canada, in part because of the negotiation that takes
place between the European Commission and the 28 National Regulatory Authorities.

The notion of co-regulation is particularly useful. Marsden argues for a form of industry self-regulation augmented by
active participation on the part of the regulator, so it's not simply a form of collusion or a blank check for
operators to do anything they want. The value of co-regulation is that it provides a means for resolving the disputes
that arise when general principles are applied to concrete practices. It may be disadvantaging to smaller ISPs like
Brett's because it does require participation, which costs time and money that the smaller ISP would rather spend on
equipment and customer service, but it solve the knowledge gap between regulators and operators.

Brett I know has issues with the mere fact that there's a move to regulate ISPs in the US in the absence of a
compelling reason; the entire factual history of ISP offenses against the people in the US consists of 1.5 events,
Madison River and Comcast's lack of disclosure, so there's obviously little reason to even have a discussion about how
to regulate ISPs. But the fact remains that we are having this discussion, and whether it evolves into a debate on the
practices of the non-ISP network operators such as Google and Akamai remains to be seen.

I recommend the book to anyone who cares about Internet regulation and wants to learn something about how it's seen in
Europe. Brett and Chris should both read p. 91:

"Even until recently, many analysts did not fully appreciate that so much traffic on the Internet was monetized and had
to pay its way. Brett Glass, owner-founder of Wyoming-based ISP Lariat Networks, states that pricing and regulating
overtly anti-competitive behaviours include ‘price squeezing, price gouging in the “middle mile” by large ISPs and
refusal to deal by backbone owners’.14 Small ISPs regularly rehearse this complaint. The Internet is, for the most
part, therefore not free for most traffic: all but the very largest ISPs charge for traffic to be carried over their
networks, and this really matters."

So apparently Chris had heard of Brett Glass before today.

RB