Interesting People mailing list archives

Things vs. NN

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:05:15 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 31, 2010 7:02:47 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>, 'Lauren Weinstein' <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Things vs. NN

In seeing the latest discussion of NN and related regulatory policies I feel like I’m watching the generals fighting the last war . I’m increasingly uninterested in looking backward. Neutrality is a nice principle but we need to move on rather than accept it as an g oal in itself.

Steve Lohr’s story on Smart Dust (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/l/steve_lohr/index.html?scp=2&sq=smart%20dust&st=c se) and Science Daily story (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100120122645.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+sciencedaily+%2528ScienceDaily%253A+Latest+Science+News%2529 ) are reminders that we should be thinking about how to connect info rmation and things.

If I simply want to place a sensor (or, better, use a shared sensor) at my (hypothetical) summer place to see if the pipes are freezing in the winter what is involved? Do I need to pay for a cellular or broadband connection just for that message? If I want to send 10 bits a minute to report the temperature do I need to keep have phone line and dial up every minute to send those bits?

Neutrality is not the issue. The very idea of needing to negotiate billable paths makes connecting devices and information sufficiently difficult to discourage all but the most dedicated and prevents any application isn’t profitable to the path-providers.

Instead of debating neutrality we should be demanding an appropriate infrastructure that lets us take advantage of the abundant capacity inherent in the infrastructure. We need an economic and funding model that is appropriate rather than accepting the idea that our vital infrastructure must be run at a profit no matter what the collateral damage.

It’s not really about an “Internet” – it’s about an infrastructure that can facilitate new applications without having t o pick winners or losers. It’s about being indifferent to the nature of the bits. This is why I try to explain why “Best Efforts” is the appropriate framing.

How does making applications friendly to the carriers’ old world mov e us ahead?

Where is the effort to find the common mechanisms to support new classes of applications?