Interesting People mailing list archives

re Jewish prayer causes flight diversion

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:02:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Abe Singer <abe () oyvay nu>
Date: January 21, 2010 3:43:22 PM EST
To: Ted Kircher <tkircher () comcast net>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Jewish prayer causes flight diversion

[ Dr. Farber, please post this followup to IP if you want]

Sorry, I still think it's absurd.  Tefillin are not at all unusual
to the Jewish American public.  This was an ignorant, hysterical,
unnecessary reaction.

What percentage of the population would have to be familiar with an
object for it to not require approval?  How is the traveller
supposed to know what that percentage is?

What is the acceptable level of ignorance that justifies diverting a plane? Does it take a majority on the plane to find someone/something unusual?
Or just a small minority?  Or just an ignorant crew member?

Should a plane be divereted because someone doesn't like another person's
haircut?

And *who* decides all this?  The Census Bureau?