Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Banks Set for Record Pay - 18% over last year!!

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:21:13 -0500

From: "Steve Lamont" <spl () ncmir ucsd edu>
To: <dave () farber net>
Date: January 15, 2010 10:55:53 AM EST
Subject: Re: [IP] Banks Set for Record Pay - 18% over last year!!

This is absolutely outrageous.  These shysters stole half or more of our
collective life savings and then bought and conned our legislators into
giving them a bailout which we will all pay for, every man, woman and child
will be paying for this for decades.  Nothing has changed in this industry.
It is staggering and must be reigned in.  When are the people going to wise
up and start tossing incumbents out?

While I agree that this is truly outrageous, it is a fraction of the
estimated $3,000,000,000,000 that our adventures in Iraq and
Afghanistan will cost

      http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2008/04/stiglitz200804

and, at least, the bankers haven't been bombing, killing, and maiming
Iraqis and Afghanis (and now Pakistanis, as well), making us a new
generation of enemies.  And that isn't even beginning to estimate the
perhaps incalculable losses in American, British, and other
"coalition" military and contractor lives and productivity, both on
the books and off.

The bankers are pikers when it comes to waste, fraud, and abuse.

                                                      spl