Interesting People mailing list archives

Mythbusting the Obama Magic

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 12:48:30 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: January 3, 2010 11:46:47 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Micah Sifry <msifry () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Mythbusting the Obama Magic

Interesting stuff, but there is something to consider that is also lost in the fog. [[FWIW, I was one of those first-time voters, for Obama.]

Obama running for president *was* at the head of a movement, mostly of volunteers, and properly so. As for the "movement," it may need better leaders now, but Obama should not be one of them.

As president, Obama is president of *all* the people; half of those who voted "volunteered" the other way. It's a tough thing, being president of a whole country. (Yes, I was appalled at the partisan reaction from the right when Obama wanted to engage with schoolchildren. Good grief, guys! ._ )

As president you have to try to reach them all... or at least not offend them by reaching out to only half of them. That's easier said than done, and there has been way too much compromise (and votes in exchange for constituency favors). I don;t think Obama ever made a really effective case for health reform until it was way too late.

So I'd like to see a discussion of the challenges of governing and inspiring a divided country, as well as how you keep a movement going now that it won one goal - electing a president - but still needs to rally round others of much greater complexity. Health reform comes in many shapes, most of them suboptimal..

Winning an election does not mean winner takes all. Thank god for that. The movement got him elected, but now he needs to lead the country.