Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: MUST READ: Google may end China operations over data breach

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:59:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew C Burnette <acb () acb net>
Date: January 13, 2010 4:46:41 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: edyson () edventure com, Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Subject: Re: [IP] re MUST READ: Google may end China operations over data breach

Hi Folks,

I would say at a more fundamental level, the issue that has google "torqued" (and rightly so) is not the sovereign
rules of a given country in which they operate, but the apparently blatant violation of their systems (including that
which is intended to comply with the local law).

Many countries (India is a good example, with VSNL having bought numerous undersea cable systems; they require key
escrow for all comms across their systems) have specific requirements, including our much maligned patriot act. Google
does business in compliance with local laws for the most part, as do many multinationals.

(for better or worse, at least here in the US, if you actually had a choice, you could vote those legislators out who
authorize the patriot act or other such questionable laws....but that's not what's in play here)

So, I think I'm highlighting the "compliance with local law" versus "hacking into my [company] systems without
permission" as the major difference here.

Best regards,
Andy Burnette