Interesting People mailing list archives

re AT&T forcing data plan changes

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:38:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: February 8, 2010 2:10:39 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] AT&T forcing data plan changes

The basic mobile phone authentication sequence provides all the
information necessary for the carrier to determine the phone type,
without inspection of the user data stream per se.

And the term "unlimited" in reference to data plans has become
decimated in usefulness -- thanks to ISPs (mobile especially, but
increasingly landline as well) who really use the term now to mean
"unlimited until you exceed our arbitrary data usage ceiling" (in the
mobile space, as assigned to that particular type of phone or class of
device).

This is a fundamental part of the carrier profit center "shell game."
By mixing and matching different "base" fees, data plan requirements,
and early termination fees, carriers assure themselves of specific
income streams over various periods of time.  If the consumer is
confused into paying for more than what they need or will ever use --
well, them's the breaks, right?

As for the argument that "unlimited" in a mobile data or landline ISP
tier definition has anything to do with "unlimited connect time"
rather than the amount of user data actually flowing -- that's just
utter nonsense.  By that line of reasoning, your local power company
could promote "unlimited service!" simply because your home is
always connected to the grid.  Even the most non-techie of broadband
users aren't going to fall for that sort of word game.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

- - -