Interesting People mailing list archives

re A Family's Horror -- and the Role of Google Images

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:06:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mike Tetreault, CISSP, CSSLP" <z0t5jtc02 () sneakemail com>
Date: February 4, 2010 4:31:46 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re A Family's Horror -- and the Role of Google Images

Honestly, I'm confused by Lauren's comments. People have things they consider "bad stuff". Different people have different things they consider "bad stuff". If you want a company to decide what should be "bad stuff", use a filtering proxy with automatically updated blacklists. You are proposing that a company make a moral choice (ie, what's "good stuff", "okay stuff", and "bad stuff"), and further, to be prepared with guidelines for making further moral choices in the future.

Can we deploy measures? Yes. They're called guidelines, policies, and procedures. The pictures should never have been disseminated by those authorized to create and possess them. Can we hold someone accountable? Yes. This happens through the courts, which is what the accident victim's family is doing. If an individual is acting on behalf of an organization, you hold both the individuals and the organization liable. Personally, I think CHP dropped the ball by not summarily dismissing the responsible parties, and deserves and sanctions the courts choose if only because of that. I can think of few more egregious breaches of the public trust thank sending out these images.

Now, actually removing this content is where the challenge lies. The easiest way would be to use the DMCA to go after individuals that post the images. Transfer copyright to the family (or an entity controlled by them) and let them start sending out the take down notices.

Mike