Interesting People mailing list archives

re Justice Department pushes for tracking of cell phone locations

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:18:06 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: February 13, 2010 6:51:33 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re Justice Department pushes for tracking of cell phone locations

Dave,

The U.S. Department of Justice told a federal appeals court yesterday that no search warrant is needed to learn the locations of Americans' cell phones. Said Mark Eckenwiler, a DOJ attorney who has long specialized in this area: "The government is not required to use a warrant when it uses a tracking device."

Here's my article from this morning, and some transcribed sections from the oral arguments:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10453214-38.html

Mark, by the way, has been an occasional contributor to IP over the years, though I haven't seen anything from him here lately.

The DOJ argues, essentially, that there's no constitutional or Fourth Amendment issue here as long as we're not being tracked from room to room inside our homes.

Here's a New York Times editorial yesterday disagreeing, saying "the courts should make clear that the Fourth Amendment requires the government to obtain a search warrant for locational records":
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/opinion/12fri3.html

-Declan