Interesting People mailing list archives

census workers

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 14:57:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bradley Roberts <brad () macsuper com>
Date: April 3, 2010 2:41:27 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Fwd: census workers

Inefficiencies of the US census, as observed directly by my mother in small town northern CA.

Begin forwarded message:

A friend is a census worker.  He was scheduled yesterday to go to a
small town, which is 80 miles away.  There were 8 workers from here,
meeting ahead of time to discuss the day.  My friend said, well, let's
carpool.  The head worker said:  no, it's not possible to figure out
mileage for only two and not 8....  so 8 cars wasted .50 a mile (your
tax dollars) and screwed up more of the environment with wear and tear
on a car, more fumes, more impact on the roads, scaring more elk!

Then he said, that the form is a big piece of paper, which doesn't fit
on a clipboard, but could have been designed to do so with the same
number of questions to fit on a clipboard...  so, let's hit yet
another tree.

Today they meet at 8:30 at Home Depot parking lot to see if it's
raining (it's pouring out).  They get paid for one hour to show up -
if it's raining, they cancel as they cannot get around by foot with
the papers in the rain.

Such trivia, such a tiny drop in a huge flood.