Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING Boarding pass scanners now at TSA checkpoints

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:53:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Blaze <mab () crypto com>
Date: September 20, 2009 17:34:09 EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] WORTH READING Boarding pass scanners now at TSA checkpoints

Dave, for IP if you wish:

Stewart Baker, who served as director of policy at the Department
of Homeland Security, the parent agency of the TSA, takes me
to task for my recent posting about the new TSA boarding pass
scanners being installed at security checkpoints.

My observation was that the ID/boarding pass check is insufficient
and in the wrong place; fixing the Schneier/Soghoian attack requires
that a strong ID check be performed at the boarding gate, which the
new system still doesn't do. Stewart says that the TSA security
process doesn't care what flight someone is on as long as they are
screened properly and compared against the "no fly" list.

Maybe it doesn't; the precise security goals to be achieved by
identifying travelers have never been clearly articulated, which
is an underlying cause of this and other problems with our aviation
security system. But the TSA has repeatedly asserted that passenger
flight routing is very much a component of their name screening
process. For example, the regulations governing the Secure Flight
program published last October in the Federal Register [pdf] say
that "... TSA may learn that flights on a particular route may be
subject to increased security risk" and so might do different
screening for passengers on those routes. I don't know whether
that's true or not, but those are the TSA's words, not mine.

Anyway, Stewart's confusion about the security properties of the
protocol, and about my reasons for discussing them notwithstanding,
the larger point is that aviation security is a complex (and
interesting) problem in the discipline I've come to understand as
"human-scale security protocols".

I first wrote about human scale security as a computer science
problem back in 2004 in my paper "Toward a Broader View Of Security
Protocols" ( http://www.crypto.com/papers/humancambridge.pdf ).
Such protocols share much in common with the cryptographic
authentication and identification schemes used in computing: they're
hard to design well and they can fail in subtle and surprising ways.
Perhaps cryptographers and security protocol designers have something
to contribute toward analyzing and designing better systems here.
We can certainly learn something from studying them.

-matt