Interesting People mailing list archives

"the net"... campus-type links, and conceptualizing remote data

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:27:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: September 16, 2009 11:53:54 EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] "the net"... campus-type links, and conceptualizing remote data

Steve Bellovin's note makes my points exactly. But to be as secure as a "wire" is a very low bar. Wired ethernet was not secure in any sense. Easy to tap, either by becoming promiscuous or by simple drop-in device plugged transparently between hub/switch and target.

The presence or absence of "security" in the 802.11 suite merely presented a marketing checkbox, one that was essentially a fib (lie is perhaps too strong).

IMO, which may not be shared, the obsession of the crypto-heads with improving WEP's prefix and so forth was a diversion. Even WPA is horrendously weak against pen-testers, because it doesn't fit into real threat models almost all of the time. (strong crypto algorithms don't solve problems, they just move the attacker to the next weakest point of the system, while confusing the security "professionals", who got their "certification" from a summer course at a vendor, into thinking they are "secure").