Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "the net"... campus-type links, and conceptualizing remote data

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:19:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: September 14, 2009 6:09:31 PM EDT
To: Gordon Peterson <gep2 () terabites com>

Speaking of infrared datalinks, it's maybe interesting to note that one of the first (if not The First) wireless LANs used an IR physical layer. This was the Photolink system by a company in Los Gatos named "Photonics" circa 1999 or so. Photolink was a cable replacement for Appletalk. Since Appletalk was a pretty robust system, Photonics didn't think it needed a MAC protocol of its own, but they were quickly disabused of the notion. Photolink II replaced directional IR with pervasive IR and added a MAC protocol that was one of the major inputs into the IEEE 802.11 process. Check the .11 stds and you'll see that the initial one specified both an RF PHY and an IR PHY. The lack of security reflects the IR heritage: if you wanted a private IR LAN, you closed your door.

The Photonics products were created in the era when people were afraid that cell phones caused brain cancer; they figured schools would prefer IR because it was safer than RF. The company folded after RF WLANs took off, but the MAC protocol lives on.

RB

Gordon Peterson wrote:
While we're talking about interesting early networks and such, maybe this is a good time to mention Datapoint's alternative to microwave- type cross-campus links. Although we had been running our own ARC System LANs for a while already, we had two young men who drove a white minivan back and forth up and down the hill carrying disk cartridges between our various corporate offices at the top of the hill along Datapoint Drive (in San Antonio) and the manufacturing plant at the bottom of the hill, less than a mile away.

For a time, the ham radio guys that had been among the early tech/ R&D guys in the company (and here I'm referring to Vic Poor, Jonathan Schmidt, Harry Pyle and David Monroe) were intrigued by cheap, small, sub-$100 microwave transmitters, but quickly became discouraged in that technology because of the required FCC site surveys, licenses and other restrictions that could easily jump the total cost of an installed, working link to a quarter of a million dollars or more, and months to years of administrative delays before going into production use.

Previously, Harry had used a Datapoint 2200 to send RF Morse code across the ham radio Morse code channels at very high rates... thousands or tens of thousands of words per minute, which had gotten the attention of the FCC (Harry pointed out to them that the applicable regulations didn't specify any maximum speed at all for the transmission of Morse code. :-) )

It seemed frustrating that we could easily SEE the building we wanted to transmit our data to. Instead of using microwave (which was frought with regulations and license red tape), it seemed like we could almost just send semaphore or Morse code signals with a flashlight...! The concept developed into a product that Datapoint called LightLink, a system which used simple infrared LEDs and large fresnel lenses to send two parallel beams of infrared light, each about a foot in diameter, between the two endpoints.

The large-diameter beam (as compared to a simple thin laser beam) made the system largely immune to disruptions such as falling raindrops, a bird flying through the beam, or whatnot. (We used to joke about the "giant pterodactyl" problem, a huge bird with a wingspan area large enough to block the entire beam! ;-) ) Instantaneous disruptions, if any were handled by either ARCnet's or The ARC System's packet and error recovery mechnisms. In the event of more extended problems (if the fog was so thick that you couldn't visually see the building at all at the other end, the link would generally go down) the ARCnets at either end of the link would reconfigure themselves automatically as two independent networks, which would also automatically (under ARCnet protocols) recombine as one when the link became good again. Our experience was that there was typically just a few hours a year that weather conditions were so bad that connectivity was interrupted.

The LightLink system (unlike ChaosNet, apparently) was completely protocol-neutral, running at the full 2.5 megabits, and plugged into an existing ARCnet LAN just as if it were a piece of ordinary coax. The system was very high speed (for the time), easy to set up, had essentially no latency, was spec'd to run up to about a mile per LightLink, was comparatively inexpensive (and involving no recurring monthly bandwidth expense), and required no FCC licensing or site surveys at all.

The LightLink system was used widely through the NY financial district (for example between the Federal Reserve and Chase Manhattan), across freeways, across campuses, and so forth. We at Datapoint used LightLink to connect about half a dozen of our different office buildings and manufacturing facility along and near Datapoint Drive.

On a separate note, I think it's also interesting that when Datapoint started work on what became ARCnet they also only had a vague notion of what they wanted this fast, easy-to-set up packet network to look like at the user level... this same kind of familiar- from-ARPAnet "Telnet/FTP" type thing perhaps, as well as sharing printers somehow. Previously, communications between small computers had been typified by what I call the "Decnet-style" networking, where one had special applications interfaces to open remote files and transfer data, generally requiring specifying for each file opened what machine the file was on, which disk volume it was on, and a user name and password for that file. This always struck me as clumsy, and prevented existing applications from transparently accessing files on remote machines as easily as they could for local files.

Therefore, one of my major innovations (in 1976) for The ARC System was to allow the user to establish their connections to shared remote data outside of their applications, simply establishing mappings to various remote collections of data as "mounting a network volume" into imaginary local disk drives. This allowed specifying volume names, user names, passwords and such ahead of time, and then having them all just look like a collection of virtual local disk drives, regardless of which disk, server (or even which LAN, since we allowed any given applications or server processor to connect to up to six separate ARCnet LANs at once) the files were actually on. Existing applications didn't know or need to care that the files were even hosted remotely, let alone WHERE they were (currently) hosted.

The "Map Network Volume" concept endures and is heavily used to this day on most successful applications-oriented networks. FTP is still around, although I still feel that mapping that FTP server transparently to a virtual disk volume is a better model (and I generally use software that provides that service, rather than using the still-clumsy FTP model). And Telnet is still used (besides SMTP!), although again I believe that it usually makes more sense to simply map the data resources into your own machine's environment and then use your own (usually more comprehensive) tools on your own system to manipulate it.

David P. Reed wrote:
Regarding my having my facts straight:

I just walked over to the shelf to the left of my computer, picked up my available paper copy of the ARPANET PROTOCOL HANDBOOK, NIC 7104, REV. January 1978. On page 41, there is a document numbered NIC 29628 (Dec. 13, 1977). It is entitled "Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)", and it was written by Jon Postel. The relevant fact-based paragraph (paragraph 2) is as follows (my italics for emphasis):

"TCP /is being used/ in the ARPA-sponsored work on packet switched radio communication (PRNET) and packet switched satellite communication (SATNET), and interconnections of these experimental facilities with each other and the ARPANET. TCP implementations / exist/ for PDP10 TENEX systems and PDP-11 systems, and TCP implementations are under development for TOPS20, Multics, the Norwegian NORD-10 system, and UCLA-CCN's IBM-360/91. Some hosts in the MIT LCSNET will intercommunicate with hosts in the ARPANET using TCP."

Now I am very familiar with this, because I was pretty much the core software and design staff of "MIT LCSNET" at the time. As Dave Farber knows, we were working (in collaboration with him) on a version of the token ring idea as an alternative to the "bus"-style coaxial Ethernet. And all of this stuff was up and running in prototype form, and was interconnected with the ARPANET by gateways that did NOT translate to NCP, but instead overlaid NCP by using point-to-point nailed up virtual circuits. We also shortly thereafter had in 545 Tech Square and over dedicated microwave links across campus (thanks to Tom Knight and buddies) what was called "the ChaosNet" which again served as a layer 2 for TCP transport. Chaosnet was a bus network somewhat like Ethernet. Chaosnet carried its own private layer 2 protocol, and also allowed TCP packets to be transported. Finally, we acquired in early 1981 a complete Xerox Alto 4 Mb/s ethernet network that ran PUP and eventually a TCP implementation by Dave Clark, again before 1983.

The idea that TCP was "developed to replace NCP" on the ARPANET is just wrong. Completely, utterly and foolishly wrong.

I don't know why anyone would take your word as an expert, Mr. Bennett. I don't think the ITIF should pay you a dime. You are no expert. You know damn little, actually.