Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Request for input on the definition of Broadband

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:48:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: September 2, 2009 11:46:39 EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, Stagg Newman <lsnewmanjr () yahoo com>, Rob Curtis <robert.curtis () fcc gov>, Tom Brown <thomas.brown () fcc gov> Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Request for input on the definition of Broadband

Here is a concise, precise, and I believe complete, definition that can serve as a good starting point. Readers may note that it is a definition that has served the Internet well. It is 3 sentences long.

Broadband is a low-latency and high-datarate access service that provides ability to send and receive IP datagrams to hosts on the worldwide public Internet, as defined by the full address space defined by the IP versions currently used. The broadband transport may use only the information placed into the IP header/envelope to manage delivery, does not use, record, or retain content information for any purpose other than law enforcement purposes. The public internet is defined as the reachable set of hosts on all autonomous systems that have agreed to exchange Internet traffic with one or more peer autonomous systems in the public Internet.

Comments: this preserves technological evolvability, since it says nothing about the technology underlying the transport, nor does it say anything about the applications served.