Interesting People mailing list archives

Request for input on the definition of Broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 11:07:18 -0400

The other day I had a conversation with a friend at the Federal Communications Commission. He asked an interesting question. When people talk about broadband they tend to talk about numbers bits per second except for.

Something seems wrong with this approach. First it is very sensitive to the advancement of technology any number will be obsolete in a few years. Second of all, and maybe most important it ignores other issues that would make any speed usable in many applications -- -- like latency chair etc. He asked if there was a "syntax" for broadband -- -- that is a deeper way of characterizing when a system supports broadband and when it does not.

I offer to the IP community a chance to take a crack at this interesting and potentially profitable challenge.

Dave