Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Not Supporting Gears on Snow Leopard?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:30:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Faisal N Jawdat <faisal () faisal com>
Date: October 8, 2009 2:21:42 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Google Not Supporting Gears on Snow Leopard?

For IP, if you wish --

This is probably more "complicated" than "conspiracy."

Gears is implemented as an extension against a discouraged interface (the InputManager system). It wouldn't be a stretch to call it a hack and an abuse of the system resources. Most of the tools that use a similar approach (Safari Cookies, Logitech Control Center, etc.) have been moving to a different way of accomplishing this (mostly the Scripting Additions system). All of them did not support running in 64- bit mode at first. Many still do not.

-faisal