Interesting People mailing list archives

a review and explanation of the new rules - including several examples.Bloggers Must Give Full Disclosure- NYTimes.com

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:48:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Amy Wohl <amy () wohl com>
Date: October 6, 2009 17:06:14 EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] a review and explanation of the new rules - including several examples.Bloggers Must Give Full Disclosure- NYTimes.com

I have read all of the Internet material I could find on the new FTC
Guidelines for bloggers and discussed them with others in my position
(professionals in the computer industry who are consultants or industry analysts and write blogs about trends and companies in the industry). Of course some of these companies may be current, past or potential future
clients.

They most certainly do not pay me for writing about them and I have on many occasions commented that when someone pays for my opinion (which is what most of my consulting engagements boil down to), they will certainly get that, but it carries no offer of my good opinion about their products. Over the years I have "fired" two clients who couldn't understand that concept.

Many clients actually require that our relationship is confidential and we
have, from time to time, signed contracts with this clause.

I have no idea what the FTC thinks people like me should do.

(1) I don't write for consumers, but on the Internet you have no idea
who is reading your blog.
(2)    We don't recommend products, but we sometimes comment on them
favorably or unfavorably.
(3) I see that Anne Martin, who gave some excellent examples, did not cover "my" kind of blogger, an expert offering their opinions about some set of (usually) current topics to a business audience. All of her examples (and much of the FTC Guidelines language) seem to be about blogs that are
for consumers.
(4) Nevertheless, I see that Anne has a tagline on her blog now, a kind of
general statement about her position on endorsements.

Should I do that (put some general vague statement up on my blog sites)?

It is my understanding that the courts have not determined that bloggers are
the same thing as journalists and therefore entitled to the same
protections.

But, clearly, there is a vast difference between someone writing about baby powder for other mommies (and getting free samples) and someone writing out of years of experience about why cloud computing is or is not an important
new computing architecture and what companies might be expected to be
important players.

Is there some way we can tell the FTC that they have created a set of
unintentional consequences?  Or should we assume that they are not
unintentional at all?

Amy D. Wohl
Editor, Amy Wohl's Opinions
40 Old Lancaster Road, #608