Interesting People mailing list archives

a review and explanation of the new rules - including several examples.Bloggers Must Give Full Disclosure- NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 02:30:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <amitchell () isipp com>
Date: October 6, 2009 2:09:12 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Soon, Bloggers Must Give Full Disclosure- NYTimes.com

Dave, et al,

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/business/media/06adco.html?ref=global-home

I've just finished reviewing the FTC's full 81-page document relating to this, and we've just published our review and explanation of the new rules - including several examples.

The short bottom line conclusion is that if you are endorsing (recommending, suggesting, enthusing or raving about) something - anything - and you stand to gain from the sale or other uptake of it - or have already gained something (anything) in exchange for your mentioning it, then you shouldn't take a chance: disclose that fact.

If you want to read the somewhat longer analysis, it's here (I am not going to post it here because it *is* long - particularly as it contains 16 examples):

http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/the-new-ftc-rules-on-bloggers-blogging-testimonials-and-endorsements-explained/

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq
CEO/President
Institute for Social Internet Public Policy
http://www.ISIPP.com
Member, Cal. Bar Cyberspace Law Committee
Professor of Law, Lincoln Law School of SJ
Author, "The Email Deliverability Handbook"
Helping businesses get their email delivered to the inbox since 1998

Email Accreditation:  http://www.SuretyMail.com

Email Deliverability Blog: http://www.GettingEmailDelivered.com/