Interesting People mailing list archives

Random baggage searches coming to Maryland commuter trains

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:39:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ethan Ackerman <eackerma () u washington edu>
Date: October 29, 2009 11:08:46 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Bob Drzyzgula <bob () drzyzgula org>
Subject: Re: [IP] Random baggage searches coming to Maryland commuter trains

Greetings Dave,
The nearby Washington DC Metro train system initiated a similar random
bag search program in October 2008. Some interesting conclusions can
be drawn from that system's experience.

-Clearly, the screening system worked well, as not a single terrorist
incident has happened since the program was in effect.

or
-Clearly, the screening system failed to work, as not a single
terrorist threat or event was uncovered or prevented.

or
-Clearly, the program was for PR purposes only, as not a single search
was actually performed under the program1, and the program was allowed
to lapse, and at this time there are "no plans to institute random bag
inspections"2 again.

see

1 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/06/AR2008120601866.html
and