Interesting People mailing list archives

Apple submits patent for embedding advertising in OS!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:48:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeff Porten <civitan () jeffporten com>
Date: October 28, 2009 10:16:00 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Apple submits patent for embedding advertising in OS!

On Oct 27, 2009, at 8:27 PM, David Farber wrote:

Now they've applied for a patent for embedding advertising in the OS! (I'll bet Microsoft is envious!)

Apple Applies for Patent on OS With Embedded Advertising
Jeff Porten, Macworld.com

I included a link to the full patent application in that post, and I recommend anyone who's worried about it to click through. It's extremely thorough in making sure that clever Mac users won't be able to work around it -- but it's so inimical to the Mac user experience that I can't believe it's actually in the works.

My pet theories: most likely, the patent is in order to prevent Microsoft (or Google) from implementing something similar. Alternately, there is a *tiny* chance that Apple sees this as a route to shipping a dirt-cheap (or free) MacBook or tablet as a route to market domination someday. But if they did, I'm certain that would be alongside current advertising-free models.

I'm percolating an essay-length post covering this and the Hulu announcement that they're switching away from ads. If and when that goes up, I'll send the link along here.

Best,
Jeff