Interesting People mailing list archives

A note on Next week's vote at the FCC (I will post other points of view if well stated djf)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:16:29 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: October 15, 2009 14:12:43 PDT
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] A note on Next week's vote at the FCC (I will post other points of view if well stated djf)

Dave, and everyone:

Here is a letter which I wrote to FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski regarding the upcoming vote.

--Brett Glass

------

Mr. Chairman:

When you were confirmed, and again at last month's Congressional oversight hearing, you pledged that the FCC would be "data-driven" and would only regulate when the data showed that markets did not work. In this spirit, the Commission should issue an NOI (Notice of Inquiry) rather than an NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rule Making) at its October 22nd meeting. An NOI would likely be approved by a unanimous vote (as opposed to an NPRM, which is likely to be contentious and would likely cause a 3-2 partisan split). It would allow data to be gathered and facts to be considered before any rules were drafted (if, in fact, any were needed at all). It would also conform to the wishes of Congress, from which the FCC derives its authority.

An NOI would further allow time for the data from broadband mapping projects to arrive, giving a much better picture of the competitive landscape. And it would allow time for the court in the Comcast matter to rule on the extent of the FCC's authority to regulate, thus ensuring that if an NPRM were issued the rules would be known to be within the scope of that authority.

Finally, an NOI would allow time for the Commission to act first on the issue of special access and "middle mile" pricing. It is clear that almost any set of "network neutrality" rules, if imposed, would require providers to buy more bandwidth. If middle mile pricing issues are not resolved first, the result would be to increase providers' costs, possibly raising prices to consumers and/or driving small and competitive providers, whose margins are razor thin, out of business. The latter would harm both competition and the extent of broadband deployment. However, approaching the problems in the opposite order would soften the blow to providers should regulation be implemented which substantially increases their bandwidth needs.

An NOI would also allow more time to consider spectrum issues. Currently, as a small, wireless ISP, I am essentially locked out of the spectrum auction process and am forced to use unlicensed spectrum, which is becoming more crowded by the day. Should regulations be passed which required me to transmit and receive more data, they could cause substantial network bottlenecks because the amount of available spectrum is limited and the high noise levels on that spectrum preclude higher spectral efficiencies due to the constraints of Shannon's Law.

For all of these reasons, I and my many colleagues (by most accounts, there are between 4,000 and 8,000 small and independent ISPs in the US) respectfully request that the FCC take a cautious, data-driven approach, and that a Notice of Inquiry, rather than a Notice of Proposed Rule Making, be issued at the meeting on October 22nd. To do so would ensure that regulations that purported to preserve an "open" Internet did not effectively close it to our customers by preventing us from continuing in business.

Brett Glass
Owner and Founder, LARIAT
The world's first wireless ISP (WISP)