Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: TSA mission creep now policy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:20:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: November 10, 2009 8:28:53 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: TSA mission creep now policy

When this TSA 'capability' was announced years ago, nobody I know of in the physical security / counterterrorism /
special operations world thought it would be as effective as the Israelis.

The "behaviour analysis" so often cited that works for airlines like El Al (and where this idea comes from, apparently)
results from the fact that many of the airline representatives at checkin and security come from former intelligence
and security service.  They have been trained on behavioural analysis and interrogation for YEARS in their careers, and
not just based on some "top ten signs you might be a terrorist" list that's reinforced by 4 days of training and
orientation.  At check-in, they know what questions to ask and how to 'guide' a conversation to get a good 'feel' for
the person to see if they're lying or if things they say don't add up.   It's not based purely on physical
actions/attributes!

That said, I can't wait for this scenario to pan out -- Overworked and highly stressed business traveller is late for
flight and sprints from car rental point to checkin to what turns out to be a LONG security line.  He's worked up quite
a sweat, literally.   Now he's on the line, sweating, nervous about getting through and making his flight on time, and
constantly looking at his watch and ticket.  Plus he's got nothing else to do so he starts to look around the
checkpoint to occupy his mind until he gets gate-raped at the magnetometer.    I'm sure TSA would see him and assume
(rightly) that he's got something on his mind.  They confront him.  He gets upset and angry because he was almost about
to get through security, catch his flight, and restore order to his day.  You can figure out how that scenario ends up.
 :(

Yes, such a capability CAN work ... if done correctly and with the right people and after serious training and
experience already behind them.  Meaning, as with much of TSA's other expanded airport security policies and
procedures, anything short of that results into nothing more than expanded security theater.   :(

-rf