Interesting People mailing list archives

Untethering and new connections

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 15:07:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: November 1, 2009 11:25:18 AM EST
To: "Prof. David J. J Farber" <dave () farber net>
Cc: "'Lauren Weinstein'" <lauren () vortex com>, <nnsquad () nnsquad org>
Subject: Untethering and new connections

Lauren's point about being tethered by the cloud is very important. The cloud has its role but we need to remember that “end-to-end” is not “womb-to-tomb”. The end points need to take responsibility for failure (and disconnection). Navigation needs to work even when one isn’t fully attached to the cloud.

This is why building atop reliable systems can be problematic – it leads to brittle dependency.

Closely related is our tendency to think in terms of physical objects rather than abstractions. Thus we think about “GPS” as a signal coming directly from a satellite rather than looking for location information. While there is opportunistic use of cellular towers and cataloging of MAC address locations why don’t we consider “location” as the point of commonality, AKA the API or interface? Why can’t I find my location when I’m not tethered directly to a satellite? This is not a trivial problem but it is vital for linking abstractions to the physical world.

The screen is another example. We already have the idea of a screen as an abstraction. So why can’t I use the screen in my dashboard as a resource either as whole or windowed. We have protocols such as X- Windows and remote desktops but we don’t architect our devices to be able to take advantage of these. Given a phone with a Wi-Fi connection it should be possible to do this with a software upgrade. Even better if the car and phone screens can be used in concert, especially if both are touch sensitive. For that matter why can’t we use controls on the steering wheel – the ones currently tied to dedicated functions.

Here’s where the concept of “adult supervision” comes to the fore. The narrow business needs of each participant makes it difficult to view these problems as whole. Perhaps these concepts of resource sharing may have a place in an IETF committee but it would require a champion. I would be one but for now I have to act as a meta-champion given my other distractions. It is in that role that I presenting these thoughts.

Perhaps I’m just impatient. Ideas like XML data formats (and their HTML counterparts – microformats) have been slow in getting adopted. We talk about specific implementations as with the “smart grid” but where is world of smart ABSTRACT things?

I do see some progress. For example some buildings in Amsterdam have QR codes that allow you to find out more about them. (http://qr.westergasfabriek.nl/index.php?language=EN ) In fact the QR codes tell you about an SSID that will give you access to a site with more information and a QR reader but, alas, the connectivity stops there. Alas, why can’t they refer to “device” instead of calling it a “phone” as if you had to get your most basic stuff from a provider company whose only goal is maximizing ARPU? This is an insidious assumption that keeps us tethered and lame.

As a pragmatic observation while copying the pictures off my SD I’m reminded that we still don’t do simple things – like maintaining the time offsets in file systems so the time stamp remains constant. Instead, in each time after I copy the files in a different place (or “D/S”) the time stamps don’t line up.

No wonder we see talk about sharing medical records instead of medical information – it’s going to take generations to understand this simple stuff. If only I had the patience to wait.