Interesting People mailing list archives

re: READ Apostrophe in Your Name? You Can't Fly!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:58:03 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Date: November 27, 2009 5:30:33 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] READ  Apostrophe in Your Name? You Can't Fly!

Try living in a country where the Roman alphabet isn't the standard encoding, with a last name with a space in it, and with a suffix such a "Junior" or "III".

My name has been "alphabetized" under V (which is how we usually do it in the U.S.), M, and I (for "III"). It has also be alphabetized under R, B (for "Ban"), and "Mi" (for "Miitaa") instead of "Me", as it gets katakana-ized and moves back and forth between representations.

Many databases both in the U.S. and here still handle last names with spaces poorly or not at all. Many here have limitations on name length that are unreasonably short by American standards, let alone eastern European, Middle Eastern, Latin American, or Indian. When we were buying our house we went round and round with the (new) bank about getting my name onto an account, and then onto a bank card (the first showed up as "Rodney Meter"). Appealing to the passport ultimately worked, but now I have to use the full cumbersome thing on a bunch of things where I'd rather just use "Rodney Van Meter" (side note: Mac's Mail app tells me that "Rodney" is a misspelled word).

Not to mention the problems of the multiplicity of systems for romanizing non-alphabetic names.

Separate anecdote: one of the classes I teach is "Network Programming in C". The TAs and I occasionally have to explain to students that, despite what one would hope, all white space is equal, but some white space is more equal than others: gcc barfs all over non-ASCII Japanese white space. And *finding* the place where a double-width space character got inserted is difficult for students who are using any editor other than Word for the first time, and who have no idea what ASCII, JIS, EUC, etc. are.

(Getting all the way from not knowing how to create a plain ASCII text file to sockets is a lot in one semester for a lightly-united class, but that's another story.)

       --Rod