Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Identity theft protection?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 19:26:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dennis Allison <drallison () gmail com>
Date: May 16, 2009 6:03:23 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Identity theft protection?

 Bruce Schneierr on LifeLock:
http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/06/securitymatters_0612

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mary Shaw" <mary.shaw () cs cmu edu>
Date: May 16, 2009 1:40:07 PM EDT
To: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Identity theft protection?

Dave,

I just got a teaser for identity theft protection.

What's the prevailing opinion in the internet/IP community about what, if anything, such coverage is worth and what features make it worth that?

More specifically, the offer is for "Protect your identity with LifeLock. As the leader in identity theft protection, LifeLock works to help stop identity theft before it happens - even if your information falls into the wrong hands. What they don't stop, they'll fix at their expense, up to $1,000,000. " and I'm being offered $90 for 13 months. Naturally, if anything of the kind is worthwhile I'll check around for competitive alternatives.

Seems like if I think the probability of ID theft is 5% and the aggravation of repair is $2K I should do this -- but both the 5% and the $2K are wild guesses.

Thanks,

Mary