Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: My views on University life (dictated into my MAC)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 17:56:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: May 3, 2009 4:59:09 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] My views on University life (dictated into my MAC)

David Farber wrote:

Finally and these are I'm afraid random thoughts, I should note that the main task of the University is to supply educated citizens to the world.

In this you have been a success.

I am one of the indirect beneficiaries of your work:

One of your students, Frank Heinrich, passed on to me an idea that he learned while working with you - the idea that a network is not simply a collection of separate machines but, rather, a complex distributed process. I am very glad that I had the benefit of receiving that idea; it is a concept that has become the core aspect of my thoughts about the internet.

                --karl--