Interesting People mailing list archives

My views on University life (dictated into my MAC)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 10:59:20 -0400

First some background from those who might not know. I entered university life after 15 years in industry, at Bell Labs, Rand Corporation and Scientific Data Systems. Having never gotten an earned doctorate, I do have an honorary doctorate,I was somewhat hesitant to enter the university life. I had taught evening classes at the Stevens Institute and at the University of California at Irvine. I was convinced to take the gamble and received an acting associate professorship at Irvine. This appointment required me to be promoted to tenure in two years or leave.

In hindsight it was very adventurous and daring and maybe stupid for me to take this gamble with a new child and a new house. However I did.

I have now been in university life for over 35 years as both a chaired professor, as a trustee, and as an observer. My appointments have always been in the engineering and computer science departments below I have had secondary appointments in the business school and the public policy arena.

When I entered the University the main criteria for promotion and recognition was published articles in refereed journals and letters of reference from key people in the field. Being pragmatic institutions , universities also recognized funded research as indicative of recognition of good work. I behaved myself, at least at Irvine, and published a significant number of articles, got major funding for my research work and felt somewhat happy. I ran into some politics which I will not describe in this note which endangered my achieving tenure. However the fact that my research was to be renewed only if I remained as principal investigator seem to have carried the day. In many ways the university was not dissimilar to industry in its politics and its recognitions.

Over the years I and others have fought hard to get a more flexible way of evaluating people for advancement. Recognition of the rapidity of work in this field has made journal publication less it important, although still historically valuable. We now pay much more attention to papers at conferences with good reputation general recognition by the field as a whole as well as funding etc.. I have noted that the politics involved in promotion is nowhere near what they used to be.

Aside from the endless fight for funding the universities give one an opportunity that exists almost nowhere else in society. That is to try new ideas and see if they work. If they are outside of the normal path one may have to do it on a shoestring but you can do it. A main reason for this freedom is the tenure system. My observations are that there is a minimum amount of dead wood produced by the tenure system. Perhaps the reason is that people who are not self motivated are removed from the system during the first years. There is a constant striving for recognition and for knowledge. I have found very very few senior people who don't behave like brand-new assistant professors in their pursuit of knowledge.

Remove the tenure system and unpopular ideas will be punished Mavericks will be eliminated and politics will abound. Tenure at most good universities is not granted without real care as to the likelihood of continued good work.

One thing I have noticed in university however is a phenomenal enlargement of the bureaucracy. There are vice presidents assistant vice president's associate vice presidents etc.. A large amount of this bulk is due to enlist federal regulations as well as the natural tendency of organizations to expand.

With all this bureaucracy and with all the Federal rules, it is still one of the best places in the world to work. As a faculty member I have no boss. I find it difficult to describe to industrial people that fact. They keep asking who's your boss would you report to. When I tell them I have no boss they are astonished. It is this freedom that allows innovation.

Finally and these are I'm afraid random thoughts, I should note that the main task of the University is to supply educated citizens to the world. In the sciences, it is to train the thinking processes that go into creating innovation and discovery. I know of no way to do this except the apprentice system that we call graduate school. As I've often said my early days at Bell laboratories were marvelous in that I could work and learn from the leaders of my field. The same can be said to be true of graduate students at a good university in the sciences. Yes graduate students are used to teach classes, most good universities do not let them teach the lectures but it use them as teaching assistants carefully supervised by the faculty. Most good universities require their faculty to teach undergraduate courses as well as graduate courses in order to expose the undergraduates to good scientists.

There are a lot of things that could be fixed at universities, the same could be just said to be true of almost all industry and certainly all government. Attempts to destroy a structure built over the years and validated at least in United States by its output would be damaging to the health of the nation and the world.

If I had to do it all over again I would certainly follow the same path I have taken and I recommend to my students that they transition their careers at some point into service at universities.

Dave