Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Apple's iPhone Channels the Prudes -- "Pick a Little, Talk a Little!"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 07:35:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Konrad Neuwirth <konrad () fimsch net>
Date: May 24, 2009 4:40:28 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Apple's iPhone Channels the Prudes -- "Pick a Little, Talk a Little!"

Hello,

Am 24.05.2009 um 01:25 schrieb David Farber:

If I were Apple, I'd be very careful what I endorsed as an iPhone or iTouch app, one that could use the Apple name, for the simple reason that there are litigious jerks out there who will sue large and successful companies.

Apple doesn't create those jerks; it merely has to live among them. By the way, if you go to PACER and search for all litigation with Apple in the header, you get more than 6,000 results. It is what it is, and their lawyers are just trying to cope with expected legal issues. I'm sure Apple couldn't care less what you read.

It may be that Apple didn't want to get sued in this particular instance, but their approval process could certainly be made to work better. If it comes to trademarks, Apple is -- or at least was, the intransparancy of the process doesn't help to know which apps will get approved this week, or next -- pursuing strange kinds of agendas themselves. For instance, they denied an application that contained an icon that may or may not have been a depiction of an iPhone -- or any other device, for that matter: <http://www.marco.org/98224131>

Then, there is the fact that they denied an app because it allowed you to get your face onto a picture of Jesus: <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/jesusphone/ > -- and yet, at the same time, there is an app for the Suicide Girl that allows you to "Flick left and right through 10 of the sexiest Suicide Gils you've ever seen. Turn your iPhone or iPod Touch upside down and watch her clothes disappear."

There's plenty of stories more about app rejections; all of them telling more or less of frustration with the entire intransparency of the thing. Also, what is so endlessly frustrating is that you have to build out the entire up, finish it, then upload it to only then be denied the privilege of taking part in the App Store. And that may even be happening to you if comparable apps have already been approved and are ready to be bought in the store.

So: There certainly is room for improvement there.

Konrad