Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Apple's iPhone Channels the Prudes -- "Pick a Little, Talk a Little!"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 19:25:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Pamela Jones <pj () groklaw com>
Date: May 23, 2009 5:52:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Apple's iPhone Channels the Prudes -- "Pick a Little, Talk a Little!"

I think what Apple is doing makes good legal sense. If you saw the recent litigation by Cartier against Apple, you see that people won't sue the 3rd party apps authors; they'll sue deep pocket Apple.

Cartier dropped the suit after Apple dropped the app Cartier found infringing. http://blogs.computerworld.com/cartier_apple_lawsuit_iphone_app_third_party

What does that tell us? That Apple can get sued for whatever apps it allows.

If I were Apple, I'd be very careful what I endorsed as an iPhone or iTouch app, one that could use the Apple name, for the simple reason that there are litigious jerks out there who will sue large and successful companies.

Apple doesn't create those jerks; it merely has to live among them. By the way, if you go to PACER and search for all litigation with Apple in the header, you get more than 6,000 results. It is what it is, and their lawyers are just trying to cope with expected legal issues. I'm sure Apple couldn't care less what you read.

You can already read the Kama Sutra if you want to on your iPhone. Just use your Safari browser and go to Project Gutenberg or Wikipedia.

Seriously.

Of use your Kindle app.

Apple, as I see it, just doesn't want to get sued. Maybe it noticed the S.C. attorney general going after Craigslist, even thought here was zero chance of it being appropriate.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/22/judge_grants_restraining_order_against_sc_ag_over_craigslist/

PJ
Groklaw

Begin forwarded message: